Thursday, December 13, 2007

'oud you like to buy a lute?

Sister P. came by the other day to pick me up and take me to a music store- (she teaches music and plays organ) She’s lived here for more than twenty years, so it was definitely helpful to have a local with me! All the shopkeepers barter for prices here- and since the owner of the store had once been a student of hers I was, for once, pretty confident in fair prices!
Was a lot of fun driving with Sister since she knows how to weave and jostle through the traffic here! The streets here are oftentimes built up versions of roads made for horses, or even footpaths that have been used for thousands of years- and they’ve only been made [somewhat] suitable for cars since- well, since cars were invented. I guess that sounds like a long time ago for us- but history is longer here and a hundred years ago doesn’t seem so far back!

As was my hope, I ended up finding and buying a lute, or in Arabic: an ‘oud (pronounced like ‘rude’ without the letter ‘r’). It sounds very eastern- like a sitar only not metallic. A lot of fun! I was pretty giddy about it, to be honest, and you can see from the picture that it’s quite beautifully made. It cost me 650 shekel.
Anyway, the reason I got a lute: it’s an ancient instrument even mentioned in the Bible!
Psalm 81:
Ring out your joy to God our strength, shout in triumph to the God of Jacob. Raise a song and sound the timbrel, the sweet-sounding harp and the lute, blow the trumpet at the new moon, when the moon is full, on our feast.”

It’s found in other scripture passages too. I’ve managed to pluck out a few songs so far- though I have yet to master the arabic sound and rhythm!
Till next time Pilgrims-!
mike

9 comments:

chele said...

mike- I was wondering where to send your Christmas card? your sis

Anonymous said...

thats really cool, i would love to be able to play a insterment like that. How much is 650 shekel worth in the United States? You should play it for us in class when you get back so we can hear what it sounds like.

Rachel Klitzke from MCC

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!

How much is 650 shekel in dollars?

Miko, MCC

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. What's the food like? Is there anything familiar?
I hope ya'll have more fun and keep learning coolio things!

Your 8th grade friend from MCC
Allison Boye

Anonymous said...

Hey guys- I'll bring my lute back to your classroom so you can hear it! (hopefully I can get good at it by then)
At the time I bought the lute one dollar was worth 3.9 shekel- with the hard case I bought for my lute, I ended up paying a total of 755 shekel. See if you can figure that out!!
To make matters more confusing: the exchange rate at the time I bought the lute was 3.8 shekel for every dollar- and it just changed this last week to 3.9 (so would've I saved some money if I had waited?) I wish I'd studied math a bit more diligently when I was your age!

Anonymous said...

How Much would shekels cost in America?
-Kristin From MCC

Posach VeOmach said...

Hi i found your blog on google. I am in jerusalem, where exactly did you find the oud I cant find one here besides a expensive store at the towns center (Ben Yehudah). Was it in the old city?

Fr. Ben said...

BL:
I know the store in Jerusalem you're talking about-
I bought the 'oud in Bethlehem- it will be much cheaper there. I can't remember the name of the street- I can only picture in my head how to walk there! It was down a hill on the right hand side, and was called "Valentino's" or something like that. Right past a burger place. Not very helpful, I know-
I'll have to look for a good map and get back to you, I know I have one around here somewhere...

knight_teller said...

Please Mike, i am going to Israel and staying in the old city of jerusalem, and i want an 'oud. Do you know where to buy one in Jerusalem? If not, could you pass me the number of the bus to go to BethLehem and the street that this music store is? I would be very grateful. Thnks