Sunday, February 10, 2008

I thought of heaven

A few days ago we attended mass with a French Religious community somewhere on the Road to Emmaus. The monks and nuns there wore crisp white habits and veils, and when they bowed down double I realized how thin many of them were, and their faces gaunt [with fasting?] They sang beautiful resounding harmonies. A nun played this instrument I'd never seen before- it had a set of strings for each hand which were set perpendicular to the neck and drum like a sail (or some suspension bridges). She played this enchanting, driving, sort of sad accompaniment while the priest chanted the Gospel in french. I thought, 'if i make it to heaven, I hope they sing this as I walk up to the gate.' It was a sound which drove me to silence: I realized, "this is what our voices were made for." I stood afterwards facing the walls and studying the frescoes- the images were preserved only piecemeal and the faces of the saints had been sanded off somewhere in the centuries.

We had our morning of reflection yesterday. I can’t believe it’s the end of the pilgrimage! We went to Dominus Flevit for our final, official pilgrimage mass. It is a quiet spot halfway up the Mount of Olives which commemorates the place where Jesus wept over Jerusalem as He sat upon a colt, and people sang Hosanna. I sat picking a guitar in some clovers under a red pine- over the silver green tops of olive trees and the roof of the Church on the terrace below me I could see all of Jerusalem. My mind was mostly blank after ten weeks of travel and experience and intake. I felt like I’d just come out onto a bridge through a railway tunnel and found that the ground had dropped beneath me, and the train was hundreds of feet above the land. I thought of Revelation 21- the vision of a New Jerusalem coming down: the symbol of heaven. This pilgrimage has just been a compact version, or a microcosm of that larger pilgrimage that we are all on.

People e-mailed me and said that they feel as though they’ve been able to see the sites through our eyes- and I thought of how much all of you have been very much a part of the pilgrimage for me, and I really have carried you with me.

We still have a few more things to say so keep checking back! Thanks for journeying with us-
Mike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you. these are sites that i will probably never behold on my own so your imagery has really helped make it a little more real for me. thanks and i'm looking forward to your return to your homeland.
~sara g

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that you are coming home so soon! I hope Mike asked the nun for a little lesson; he is such a fine and talented musician.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find out what type of guitar it was? I looked up sitar and it doesn't even come close to to looking the same.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing all this with us ... safe travels ... Sister Ellen